Sunday, February 8, 2009

Out of the mouths of babes

So it finally happened, Brekken said something that I was hoping I could avoid his whole childhood. He actually said two things within a week of each other. On our drive to NE we stopped at Burger King to eat. After getting our seat and I got up to throw something in the garbage. When I got back Brekken said, " Mom I saw a fat guy". Wow was I ever mortified! There was a larger man sitting at the table next to us. I told Brekken that we don't say things like that, but I couldn't even look over at the man. I felt terrible. The next horrifying moment happened at church today. We were sitting in the pew, sacrament meeting had just begun and a very dark skinned black boy came in and sat in the pew in back of us. Can you see where this is going? Well my sweet little Brekken put his hand out to give the boy a high five. The boy clapped his hand and Brekk turned to me and said, "mom his hand is black". My mind is racing, what do I say! " Yes Brekken it is". I was hopping that would be the end of it but then he said, "and his face is black too". Just drop it kid is what I was thinking. He is so sweet, I love this little guy. Our little ones sure do put us in awkward positions don't they. Anyone have any advise the next time he says something that may really offend someone?

5 comments:

Shandi said...

Hey Jen
I am glad that you made it to NE finally. I hope that it will be enjoyable for you and your family. I don't know what to tell you about Brekkens comments....I guess just smile and wave! LOL Any ways if you look at our blog our new little one is on their! Hope all is going well for you.

Clean Cut said...

Howdy! I have no advice whatsoever, but I sure do enjoy hearing about the funny things kids say. Please post more! (What's NE?)

Clean Cut said...

Okay, I feel stupid. I just noticed the other post in my Reader that mentions you're moving to Nebraska. Wow. I'd like to hear about all these adventures. It seems like you just moved into your new house in Arizona!

{natalie} said...

nice. kade did that once w/a fat person and i was really embaressed. i was hoping she didn't hear me. we have a black neighbor and he's never really brought it up, so no advice..sorry.

i'm glad you are back!

Kirstin said...

Two weeks!!! Hoorah!!! I can't wait to see pictures of the little bundle. Are you getting excited or nervous? I am getting bigger and fatter every day. It's sort of depressing when I think of it that way, but it'll all be worth RIGHT?? hAHAHAHAHAHA!